Today we're up close & personal with your dashboard, specifically talking about 2 lights that are very important to you and your car. One is for your brakes, and one is for the Anti-Lock Brake System. Now, when you start your car, its normal to see these lights turn on for a couple seconds, then turn off. And,if you've set your parking brake, you'll see the red Brake light until you release it. But, if the Brake light stays on, it means you're low on brake fluid. If you're low on brake fluid, you probably have a leak. If the ABS light comes on,your Anti-Lock brakes aren't working correctly. In either case, don't wait, these are your brakes! Its time to get your brake system serviced by one of our trusted car care pros here in town!
Tis' the season! Youve got thefamily truckster loaded up and headed...right into a holiday traffic jam. Worry not! We may be able to help avoid some of it. Heres how in 3 easysteps:
1) Know your route. Tourists & once a year travelers areout during the holidays: they're going to use the main roads. Armyourself with local knolwedge of smaller routes, the back roads. Whatyou'll spend I'm a few extra miles could save you substantial time at the endof your drive.
2) Check your GPS: most systems calculate alternate,faster routes at the push of a button (many smart phones have apps to help if you don't have GPS in car).
3) Leave durning no peak travel hours.
4) Finally, check for traffic updateshere in the news: if it's a major backup, we'll tell you about it fast.
Happy holiday season to you and your family! Be sure to drive smart and safe during the holidays and always!
It'sdark, slippery & everyone has an opinion...on motor oil. Heres our Oil Change 101: oil is the blood of your engine. And it getsdirty. That's why we change it. Now the big question;when do we change it? The mantra for years had been every 3months or 3,000 miles. But modern technology means oil may lastlonger in your car. Check your owners manual to know for sure. Some newer vehicles even have an electronic monitor that tellsyou when to change your oil. Regardless of if you do your ownwork, or use a trusted shop, regular oil changes are the single bestthing you can do to extend the life of your engine.
As always, be sure to visit your local car care professional for any of these services!
A few weeks ago we talked on here about how important it is to check your tire air pressure. This week its time to talk about rotating those tires that we all rely so heavily on. Now, I'm all for doing a good deal of the work yourself but when it comes to rotating tires its really important to have a car care professional help. Here are some helpful tire tips and reminders to keep your car running on the road longer.
So head to your trusted car care professional and lets keep that car on the road longer!
Everyone is going green these days and if you aren't yet, today is the perfect day to jump on board. Not only is driving green great for the environment, it can also help you put more green in your pocket. Now that sounds like a double win! Here are some friendly ways that you can drive GREEN-
As always, visit your local car care professional for any questions or help you may need!
School is officially back in session, but the weather is still beautiful in many places which means it's still a great time to take a family road trip! Once Labor Day passes vacation rates typically drop a significant amount making it a great opportunity for a family vacation. When you think of family vacations some people get the Griswold Family Vacation image in their minds, when it doesn't have to be that way. Safe preparation is the key to a successful family road trip. Here are some important things you should be sure to do before taking a trip:
1. Make a service stop- A quick tune up can go a long way. This includes tire rotation, oil check, replace car's fuel filter, proper valve adjustment, fill tires with air ect.
2. Toss out your old wiper blades and pick up a new pair from your local car parts supplier. You never know what kind of weather elements you will hit on your road trip. Not being able to see out of your windshield is extremely dangerous and could ruin a trip.
3. Only bring the necessities- Over packing can be stressful before, during and after your trip. It is important to be able to see out of all your windows for safety. In addition, minimizing the amount you bring can help your overall fuel economy. Who doesn't want to save some extra cash while on the road to spend on a good family dinner?
4. Car wash after the trip- When you finish your family road trip it's a good idea to get a good detailed wash for your far. You want to get rid of all the elements your car goes through while on the journey. Make sure to vacuum out the interior as well to get rid of all the spilled snacks! This will help your car's overall longevity so you can keep the value of your car and take future trips with your car looking sharp!
Have a safe family road trip and remember as always to visit your local car care professional for the best service and assistance to do things the right and safe way. Be sure to visit back for more tips and tricks here at Auto Matters.
First you need to buy a good gauge. It doesn't have to be expensive but you need a good gauge to make sure you have accurate readings every time.
Next, locate your air pressure requirements either inside your cars door or in the owners manual. This will always be your reference for inflating your tires.
When you have your gauge and your settings the best time to check air pressure is in the mornings, before you have driven. Driving can create heat which will give you a false reading so this eliminates any confusion.
And finally make sure to check and set them all at the same time and compare the numbers to what your car requires. That way you can identify if one tire is losing more than the others. By doing this you regularly you're going to increase your handling, fuel economy, safety and even keep your car on the road longer.
Please remember that it is always a good idea to use your local car care professional when it comes to car maintenance as they will always provide you with the best top level service.